Hey, it’s Shante and here’s my Fleurish Five for this week. It’s mostly related to love since Valentine’s Day is upon us, but if you’re morally opposed to V-Day, that’s cool too! Either way, enjoy.
1. We’ll start with today’s ladies of R&B and Hip-Hop, including Tinashe, ABRA, and Empress Of, singing a classic R&B song and looking amazing while doing it. One of my favorite things about this feature is how the earrings really shine against more understated outfits, a look that could make a big statement during your Valentine’s Day date. Also, let’s just appreciate all of this glorious melanin.
2. All my ATL lovers! I wanted to suggest that you check out ATL Collective’s live rendition of Sade’s Love Deluxe (one of my faves) on the 13th, but it has sold out. I suggest you play the album, make a nice dinner, and have a night in if you don’t have dinner reservations.
3. If you don’t want to stay in, you could go to Herban Fix, a new vegan restaurant located on Peachtree Street. The food is very tasty and healthy; there’s enough options to appeal to meat-eaters too. I recently went and tried the pan seared dumplings and curry soy fish with kale. The restaurant also serves vegan cake…what could go wrong?
4. Want to amp up your romantic February looks with a fun lip color? Refinery29 recently released a list of Black-owned beauty brands and I was really intrigued by Coloured Raine. The company, founded in 2013, makes matte lip paints with names like 2AM (black) and Oooh La La (fuchsia). I’ve got my eye on Ivy (pictured below) and 2AM because I need to add a black lipstick to my collection.
5. Lastly, I’d like to talk about spreading love and awareness in the community. An example I have is a musician coalition for social justice that is getting started in Atlanta. I’m not sure if there is an official name for it yet, but it’s great to see people getting involved in activism and using their talents to do so! Special thanks to Paria for putting this on my radar.
That’s all for now. Remember to take care of yourself and spread some love.